If a tooth has been fractured or cracked, there is no alternative but to schedule an appointment as quickly as possible.
Where a segment of tooth has been broken off, here are some steps that can be taken at home:
- Call our office at 647-957-9369.
- Rinse the tooth fragment and the mouth with lukewarm water.
- Apply gauze to the area for ten minutes if there is bleeding.
- Place a cold, damp dishtowel on the cheek to minimize swelling and pain.
- Cover the affected area with over-the-counter dental cement if you cannot see us immediately.
- Take a topical pain reliever.
The nature of the break or fracture will limit what we are able to do. If a fracture or crack extends into the root, root canal therapy is often the most effective way to retain the tooth. In the case of a complete break, we will usually affix the fragment back onto the tooth as a temporary measure.